The 2009 Mid-Atlantic Regional Affiliates Convention Agenda
Friday October 30, 2009
- 5:00-7:00 PM-Registration Open
- 5:00-8:00 PM-Exhibits Open, be sure to visit the silent auction in the
center of the exhibit hall
- 6:00-8:00 PM-"Canes, Canines, and Cocktails" Reception in Exhibit Hall
- 8:00-9:30 PM-Hospitality Suites Open
Saturday October 31, 2009
- 9:00 AM Welcome remarks, Introductions, and announcements.
- 9:30 AM We the People, in order to insure equal access to information, do
ordain a Technology Bill of Rights. Our Rights and Responsibilities.
Presenters: Jamal Mazrui, Founder of Empowerment Zone
- 10:30 AM How will Health Care Reform Impact the Blind Community.
Presenter: Mark Richert, Esq., Director, Public Policy Center, American
Foundation for the Blind, Washington, DC.
- 11:15 AM Federal Contractor Opportunities, New Training Programs, and
Employment Partnerships. Presenter: William Parker, Contract Management Support Program Director, National Industries for the Blind, Alexandria, VA.
- 12:00 Noon-1:30 PM- Box Lunch and Exhibits. Join your friends for lunch,
visit the exhibits, and bid on the silent auction items
- 1:30 PM-5 PM Afternoon Breakout Sessions
- 1:30 PM- 2:30PM Choose one of the following seven breakout sessions
Mac Attack! Curious about voice over? Learn how to instant message,
download music from iTunes, and overcome your fear of using a mac.
Presenter: Jason Castonguay.
- Gadgets, Gizmos, and Garbage- Tools for low vision
- Go Viral on the Net: Creating, Searching, and Sharing Video and Podcasts,
including YouTube. Presenters: Don Barrett and Patrick Timony.
- Are We There Yet? Arrive on time and in one piece using the latest GPS
technologies. Presenters: Becky Barnes and Brad Hodges.
- Reading for the Millennium: New technologies and formats have arrived at
the National Library Service .Here's what you need to know about BARD and
downloading and reading digital electronic books. Presenter: Jane Sheehan, National Library Service.
- Show me the Money: Focus group on accessible currency (Bureau of Printing
- Job Hunting in the Big Shark Tank: Strategies for online job searching.
Presenters: Derrick Serra and Lou Smith.
- 2:45 PM- 3:45 PM Choose one of the following seven breakout sessions.
- Latest and Greatest Handhelds and Portable Magnifiers.
Presenter: Scott Holden.
- Globalize your Life from your Laptop: Learn to use new media technologies
to tweet, reconnect with friends, and extend your professional reach.
Presenters: Leslie Bobbitt and Mika Pyyhkala.
- Blind Buff Bodies! Exercise Strategies and Personal Trainers. Join the
movement of couch potatoes that utilize personal trainers to get in shape!
Presenter: Estela Mendez.
- Online Matching Services: Not Just Booty Calls! Find compatible and
interesting companions online. Learn about Google Voice, Skype, Match.com
and e-Harmony. Presenter: Jason Castonguay and Mark Richert.
- MD. Office of Blindness and Visual Services: News and trends, what to
expect in 2010. (Shaffer)
- Reading Confidential- National Library Service
- What's In Your Pocket? Which portable digital book reader is best for
you? Get first hand comparisons of Booksense and Plextalk. Where you can
find the books you want to read? Learn the features of the latest digital
book websites. (Lieberman)
- 4 PM-5PM Choose one of the following seven breakout sessions
- Doormats No More! Legal Leveraging for Better Civil Rights Outcomes.
Presenters: Equal Rights Center of DC.
- Get a Grip on your time and efficiency. Learn how to manage your
schedules, calendars, and time with Braille Note. Master the Outlook Email
manager for better time and organization control. Presenters: Brian Charlson and Scott Marshall.
Just how smart is that smart phone? Explore the many non-calling
functions of the iPhone and KNFB reader. Discover accessible applets that
can be downloaded for immediate use. Presenters: Brad Hodges and Moira Williams.
- Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired. Come and hear how
a state agency for the blind is spending "stimulus" money in vocational
rehabilitation, independent living for older individuals with vision loss,
services for students and plenty of opportunity for discussion, questions
and answers Presenter: Bob Burton, Deputy Commissioner for Services .
- Be a part of history: Here is your one chance to provide feedback to the
folks working on making money accessible. Presenters: Bureau of Printing and Engraving.
- What Every Blind Job Seeker Needs to Know- Interview and Job Fair
Strategies. Presenter: Denna Lambert.
- Cooking with Fabulous Accessible Kitchen Tools. Presenter: Susan Jones.
- 6:30 PM: Cocktails in Banquet Ballroom
- 7:00 PM: Banquet, Keynote Speaker, Awards, and Live Auction.
Speaker: Kim Charlson, ACB Vice President
Sunday November 1, 2009
- 9:00 AM- MAGDUI Business Meeting
- 10:00 AM: Old Dominion Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired Annual
- 10:00 AM: ACB of Maryland Business Meeting.